Dental supplies play a very significant role in helping cure the illnesses of the people who seek help from medical staff in hospitals. That is why it is critical for these parts to be well taken care of to make sure that they work perfectly each and every time. The accuracy of these devices play a huge part in the correct diagnosis or treatment of these illnesses. Its failure could lead to mistake in such very important processes and could lead to mistakes and errors in diagnosis and treatments. With cases of medical malpractice on the rise, it is just timely that hospitals really do everything that they can to prevent these unfortunate incidents from happening.
In Australia, hospitals, invisible braces clinics, and other medical facilities spend millions of dollars in investing on quality medical supplies and equipment. However, despite the staggering amount of money being spent on these items, there are instances when these items fail that cause doctors, nurses, physical therapists, and other medical professionals. Given the amount that hospitals dedicate to keep these supplies’ perfect condition, why do these fail and what causes these failures? From contamination to improper disposal, there are various reasons why medical supplies fail.
A directory for pre-qualified suppliers came up with a study of what has been causing the failure of medical devices/supplies in hospitals.
- During the use of equipment, there’s a great possibility for chemical attacks or foreign substances can get into the equipment. Such things can make a device work improperly or worse, get completely broken. This shouldn’t really be a problem though as simple yet strict housekeeping can help prevent such events that can extend the service lives of such equipment.
- Failure of quality control. Some devices have plastic components that are made and molded before it is finally assembled. Sadly, there’s a real chance of these plastic parts to have defects that may cause the failure of such equipment. In such instances the hospitals can sue the makers of the equipment as product liability laws hold these companies accountable for their negligence over these product defects. However, hospitals and the users of these devices must check it thoroughly to catch these problems to help avoid wrong diagnosis or prevent medical malpractice claims.
- Poor product design. There are products that are doomed to fail from the start. Poor product design and development can cause these problems. Here, product liability claims can also be invoked against the suppliers and makers of these devices. This is why invisible braces are well-designed and topnotch to avoid such problems.
- Improper choice of materials/equipment. Though dental hospitals have experts that study the choice and purchase of the equipment that they have, some commit mistakes with their choices. This leads to the purchase and use of the wrong equipment or its premature failure.
- Machines have limitations too. Even though these products are made to perform such tasks, proper maintenance and care are also needed to ensure that these devices work well and don’t fail. Also, avoid over using and abusing the equipment to prevent failure.
- Improper handling. Certain medical supplies like sharps require proper and effective handling otherwise they can cause spreading of illnesses among workers and patients alike. This is why systematic waste disposal is extremely necessary in any healthcare workplace.
Since there is much responsibility over the medical practitioners and the management of these facilities, it is imperative that a hospital uses the right devices that work properly. Because these causes of medical supply and device failure are avoidable, the patients expect nothing less from these hospitals but to ensure the safety of everybody.